Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Egg Drop Practice

On Monday we reviewed Chapter 8, Thinking Like an Engineer and conducted trial tests with our egg drop contraptions. Megan was sick, so Cameron helped me practice aiming when I drop the egg. He also taught me how to use the plumb bob. It was very kind of him to help out the competition. I dropped the egg from about 4 feet and it made it safely into the contraption!

Today, school was delayed due to winter weather so Robert and I were the only two people in class. We practiced dropping eggs from 16 feet in the atrium! We both missed on our first try but it was helpful to understand what we'd be facing in the real egg drop which is postponed until next lab class.

Our final product!

I missed... Next time, I will put the device closer to the wall so that I don't have to reach my arm out so far.

We dropped the egg from 16 feet!
At the end of class today, Mrs. Vestal explained to us the math behind the speed of the egg during the egg drop. She helped us derive the equation and understand the application of the principle: conservation of energy. I will post the math calculations soon.

For now, have a great day and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment